Thursday, May 04, 2006

Third Time's the Charm

So this Mission Impossible: III thing is coming out tomorrow. And I find myself at a crossroads. For pretty much most of Tom Cruise's career, I've been maintaining a pretty honorable attendance record where his movies are concerned, guided by the Auteur Theory - I see the ones directed by major directors and avoid the ones by more middle-of-the-road filmmakers - so that means Eyes Wide Shut but not Vanilla Sky, Born on the Fourth of July but not The Last Samurai, Magnolia but not Far and Away, Collateral but not A Few Good Men. Tom Cruise is a cipher on the screen most of the time - I enjoy him most when a director works hard to wipe that smirk off of his face over the course of the film (most notably in Minority Report and Magnolia). Didn't like the first two M:I films much, but had to go, since DePalma and John Woo were the respective directors.

So what to do here? JJ Abrams - he's the TV guy, right? What to do, what to do. How do I rationalize going to see it? I know - I'll use the excuse I used to make to justify seeing the later Bond movies; I would only go to them based on who's playing the bad guy, as in Christopher Walken in A View to a Kill or Robert Davi in License To Kill. So you say Philip Seymour Hoffman, as the evil arms dealer, is in charge of the smirk-wiping? I guess I'm in. Thank God for the Rainbow Cinema downtown - home of the $4.25 matinee. Have to cut my losses somehow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that'd be my logic, too. so, how was it?

Jesse said...

Oh I'm not racing off to see it - I'll let the crowds die down a bit and go later in the week.

Poptique said...

Surely it can't reach the depths of Mimp 2?

Jesse said...

Mimp 2 had some signature Woo melodramatic flourishes but it was like watching an action-packed shampoo commercial.

What happened to Woo? His last film was literally called Paycheck.

Poptique said...

The man needs rousing from his stupor - supposedly all that's on his slate at the moment are video game and action figure tie-ins.

A return to the glory days of Hard Boiled seems sadly unlikely, especially if he insists on throwing a basket full of doves into shot every five minutes - but it would be nice to get at least one more bonafide John Woo movie.

Jesse said...

John Woo's making He-Man: The Movie? I'll only see it if they cast Lindsay Lohan as Skeletor.